Wednesday, February 4, 2009

CHINA 25/12/08 - 15/1/09

I thought this trip was going to be so boring. Three weeks in Mum's hometown, staying with her parents...what could be more boring right? Well I was wrong. This was the second best trip I've ever been on, and second best only because Disneyland can't be beaten :P

I'm actually really glad we only stayed in Fuzhou as opposed to travelling around China like in previous years. We got to spend heaps of time with the family and my chinese improved a bit haha. But what made this trip so great was, naturally, the SHOPPING. We shopped almost every single day, buying whatever we wanted at insanely cheap prices. I ended up with 9 pairs of shoes, 4 winter coats, 3 jumpers, 2 pairs of fake Levi's, 3 hoodies, a pair of trackies, a skirt, two beanies, a bag, and a crazy amount of jewellery and stationery. Oh and pirated DVDs! We came to China with 4 checked in bags, and we left with 8...
There are so many PEOPLE in China!

Aside from shopping, my grandparents insisted my brother and I spend a day doing this fob photoshoot thing where you get your makeup (my brother got his makeup done too HAHAHA) and hair done, and choose half a dozen outfits to get pictures taken in. It was fun for say the first three hours, but the last four? Repetitive death. The dresses they had there were soooo pretty though! They had racks after racks of gorgeous clothes...it was so hard to choose. The photos came out quite good though.




We also spent three days in the WuYi Mountains which were really pretty. I bought this traditional Chinese painting of the mountains with my name incorporated into it. It cost $4.50AU and took the guy 5 minutes to do...so talented. It's hanging up over my desk now :) On the last day we went rafting down the Nine-Bend River which was fun...
Chinglish hahahahha

But the funnest thing we did in China? Without a doubt the plastic water bubbles! Our Aunt and Uncle took us to West Lake where we hired a paddle boat for a half hour, ate icecreams, and walked on water! They put you in a plastic bubble which they inflate with air and zip up so it's watertight. You can walk and run on water but it's SO hard to keep your balance. I could only stand up for like a minute before I fell down :P It was so, so, so, so, so fun!

The main reason we went to China was because my Grandpa/Wai Gong was turning 80. He had a massive birthday lunch which was...an experience to say the least :P Now my chinese is ok, but still pretty bad, so you can imagine my absolute HORROR when he asked me infront of like 60 people, as his granddaughter, to make a SPEECH in FRICKING CHINESE. I mean I even forgot that morning how to say 'happy birthday' in Chinese! And I rarely speak as it is in English! Mum of course looks at my panicked face and starts laughing, while I gaze back with my cheeks bright red, at 60 people staring at me expectantly. Thankfully though Mum whispered things into my ear which I spoke out loud. I had NO idea what I was saying but since there was no snickering I guess it was ok :P I am so glad I got out of all the impromptu debates last year. Gosh I hate public speaking.


Top photo: Me and my grandpa

Middle photo: Me, my uncle, mum, dad, Jon (back), my grandparents and a family friend (front)

Bottom photo: Me, my uncle, my aunt, mum and Jon

China was such an amazing experience and I can't wait to go back :D

Love, Julia

6 comments:

Jon said...

JULIA!
haha china sounds like heaps of fun and i think i can fully rely on you being my tour guide if i ever go :P yes?
(by the way.. the photos are cool as!)
catch up soon! :)

Julia Donald said...

oooh yeah of course i'd be your tour guide! don't know how good i'd be at that though :P

Jon said...

haha of course the only real place i need guiding to is that place where i can take tb/fob photos :) wooo

Julia Donald said...

HAHA well that's easy! They're EVERYWHERE :P

Anonymous said...

JULIA. .omg the pics are sooo COOL
and i wsa about to do it in indo except they said the photoshoot was like 8 hours so i'm like ..NO WAY

but they do come out real awesome haha mayb i'll do it nex time

BTW u noe that bubble thing i so wanted to do that but then it wsa close coz i went in the winter.. but that does look fun too!!!

Julia Donald said...

yeahhhh it took ages! we were there from like 10 till 5!
it was winter in china as well when we went...but it wasn't that cold so maybe that was why the bubble thing was still open. it was so fun though...you defs have to do it next time!