Tuesday, April 1, 2008

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY!

I went to yumcha today with mum and my brother and sister, which was all well and good until mum got this plate of something that looked completely disgusting. Turned out to be 20 or so duck tongues. EEW. Completely spoilt my appetite. Out of curiosity I asked mum whether Chinese people eat cats or dogs. "Oh, nobody eats cats, but dog is a traditional Chinese dish that is meant to help you not feel the cold." :O oh my gosh. The poor puppies in China. Served up on a plate. SLIGHTLY DISTURBING AND BARBARIC?? So people. Never eat anything in China without asking what it is first...you never know....*shudders* (And to clarify, my mum insisted neither she nor her family ever ate dog...but still) Oh hey. When I got home, my mum cooked this salmon soup thing, and she was eating part of the salmon, which looked strangely like its head...then she lifts up this clear jellylike part with her chopsticks, goes "Look Julia, fish brain", and then pops it in her mouth, chews it, and swallows it... "Yum".

I think I'm going to bring a two weeks supply of instant noodles when I go to China.

(I apologise if you were reading this before breakfast, lunch or dinner.)

Love, Julia

2 comments:

Shehara said...

HAHAHAHAHA your mum is hilarious!=p yehhh actually my dad eats the head too... and he eats the eyes along with the brain. curry/asian parents...

Julia Donald said...

aahahah yeahh my mum eats the eyes too :P
soooooo gross.